PSC Minor Requirements
Complete three Political Science Intro courses, at least 12 hours in upper level or 2000, 3000 and 4000 level Political Science courses with one course in Group D and at least one course in Group E and three courses in the Social Sciences outside of Political Science.
» PSC Minor Checklist
Sample syllabi for many PSC courses can be downloaded here.
||Introduction to Comparative Politics
||Introduction to American Politics and Government
|PSC 1003 or IAFF 1005
||Introduction to International Relations
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP US Government exam gives credit for PSC 1002.
- A score of 4 or 5 on the AP Comparative Politics exam gives credit for PSC 1001.
- PSC 1011 and PSC 1012, Politics and Values, count as PSC 1001, PSC 1002, and PSC 1003 as well as one Group E class.
- Honors Introduction to Comparative Politics counts as PSC 1001
- Honors Intro to American Politics and Government counts as PSC 1002
- Honors Introduction to International Relations counts as PSC 1003
Political Science Upper level Requirements
Twelve hours of upper level or 2000, 3000 and 4000 level PSC credits to include one course from Group D, one course from Group E and two PSC upper level electives.
Group D, Research Methods
||Scope and Methods of Political Science
Note: The following courses waive the PSC 2101 requirement: SOC 2101, SMPA 2151, PSYC 2101. A student making the substitution for PSC 2101 must take an additional PSC upper level elective class, i.e., twelve hours of upper level PSC credits are required for the minor.
Group E, Political Thought:
At least one of the following courses:
||Major Issues of Western Political Thought I
||Major Issues of Western Political Thought II
||20th Century Political Thought
||Freedom and Equality
||American Political Thought
||Freedom in US Pop Culture
||Special Topics in Political Thought
Two PSC Upper level electives
These may come from any group or groups. Transfer credit listed as PSC 1099 counts as upper level elective credit hours towards the minor.
Three courses (9 credit hours) in the social sciences outside PSC
For this requirement any course on the CCAS Social and Behavioral Sciences GCR counts with the exception of PSC. Any HIST, WSTU, PSTD, or IAFF class also counts towards this requirement.