Cultural Events and Activities: DC
1.The AFI European Union Film Showcase (at the AFI Silver Theatre and Cultural Center, 8633 Colesville Road, Silver Spring, MD):
-Grand Piano. Spain, 2012, color, 90 minutes. Special Presentation (Dec 6. 7:30 pm, Dec 7, 10:30pm). Q&A with filmmaker Eugenio Mira, plus post-screening reception sponsored by SPAIN arts & culture.
-The Wishful Thinkers (Los Ilusos). Spain, 2013, B&W, 93 minutes. (Dec 7, 5:15pm; Dec 9, 9:10pm)
2. Gala Theater presents:
- Reel women/La mujer en el cine (Dec 11-15) Gala Hispanic Theater presents a special series celebrating the work of female filmmakers from Mexico and Spain (In Spanish with English subtitles).
Wed Dec 11
-At 7 pm: She Doesn’t Want to Sleep Alone (No quiero dormer sóla), Natalia Beristain, Mexico, 2012, 82 minutes.
-At 8:30 pm: Discussion with director Natalia Beristain, moderated by Carlos Gutiérrez, and followed by a reception hosted by Mexican Cultural Institute.
Fri Dec 13
-At 7 pm: Chrysalis (De tu ventana a la mía), Paula Ortiz, Spain, 2011, 95 minutes.
-At 8:45 pm: Panel Discussion on Women Filmmakers from Mexico and Spain with Paula Ortiz and other filmmakers, followed by a reception hosted by the Embassy of Spain.
Sat Dec 14
-At 2 pm: special screening of Maria Candelaria, Emilio Fernández, Mexico, 1944, 102 minutes.
-At 7 pm: Perdida, Viviana García Besné, Mexico, 2011, 93 minutes.
-At 9 pm: Nora's Will (Cinco días sin Nora), Mariana Chenillo, Mexico, 2010, 90 minutes.
Sun Dec 15
At 2 pm: The Plague (La Plaga), Neus Ballús, Spain, 2013, 85 minutes.
** Students can explore of the Spanish and Latin American cinema from social topics. (For students of all levels)
3. Spain, Art & Culture presents:
Cine-Club: ‘Animals’ (Nov 21, 6:30pm).
This is an unconventional coming-of-age tale blend of fantasy and cold reality.
4.OAS/AMA F Gallery presents:
-Exhibition: Portraits of Power, works by Alejandro Almaraz of Argentina (Nov 6-Jan 31) at AMA’S F Street Gallery 1889 NW (corner of 18th Street).
Almaraz’s examinations of popular authority figures encourage conversation on vital OAS interest such as democracy as the cornerstone of a constructive society, electoral process, and good governance.
5. Mexican Cultural Institute presents:
- Book Presentation: “Mexico-US Relations, 1756-2010” (Nov 19, 6:30pm) at Mexican Cultural Institute 2829 16th Street NW.
-Culinary: Patis’s Mexican Table, Popular Mexican Holiday Dishes (Dec 5, 6:00pm) at the Mexican Cultural Institute.
For more information on Patricia Jinich log on to patismexicantable.com or follow her on twitter @PatriciaJinich
6. Teatro de la Luna presents: 16th International Festival of Hispanic Theater (Oct 16-Nov 24, Fri and Sat 8:00pm and Sun 3:00pm) at Gunston Arts Center-Theatre 2, 2700 South Lang St., Arlington, VA
Enjoy the most evocative theater from Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Puerto Rico, Uruguay and USA (In Spanish with live English dubbing).
*Students can learn about the popular culture from these Spanish speaking countries. (Particularly, for students of advanced courses)
7. Flight of the Butterflies 3D, presented by MÉXICO. This film is now playing at the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History in Washington, IMAX THEATERS. (Runtime: 44, 10:50-2:10, MPAA Rating: G).
The monarch butterfly is a true marvel of nature. Weighing less than a penny, it makes one of the longest migrations on Earth across a continent to a place it has never known. Follow the monarchs' perilous journey and experience millions of them in the remote mountain peaks of Mexico.
8. Group for free Spanish conversation, cultural exchange, and fun: The Washington DC Spanish Language Meetup Group.
*Students benefit from continuous informal interactions in Spanish (which are available for learners of all levels in the DC area).
9. Web portal: Spain is the official tourism portal in the United States. It offers important information that students need to know before traveling to Spain.
Spanish Now: Meetup Group
Embassy of Argentina
Embassy of Bolivia
Embassy of Colombia
Embassy of Costa Rica
Embassy of Ecuador
Embassy of El Salvador
Embassy of Spain
Embassy of Honduras
Embassy of Mexico
Embassy of Panama
Embassy of Paraguay
Embassy of Peru
Embassy of the Dominican Republic
Embassy of Uruguay
Embassy of Venezuela
Centro Cultural del BID
Centro Cultural Mexicano
Embajada de España
Museo de las Americas
Smithsonian Latino Center
Teatro de la Luna
Spanish Film Club
Nulu for Spanish!
Ibero-American Showcase 2012
Study Abroad, Scholarships, & Work Experience:
Government & Politics:
Culture & Arts: